Sunday, August 05, 2007

My HTPC (Thats wat i call it now)

HoHoHo.....
It beens 2 weeks since i posted anything (or was it 1 week?)! Too busy to post anything.

So lets start with my trip to the Malaysia International KLAV Show 2007 (a show with all sort of audio and video equipment). The location was at KL JW Marriot Hotel.

My main objective was to search for an AV receiver for my PC and my PS2 + 3!!!

It was indeed an interesting trip, nvr been to such exhibition before, the entry fee was RM10 and 4 floors was occupied by the exhibition itself, and the last 2 floors even used the hotel rooms as a showroom!

Things display there were all $$, u get to see HiFi units that cost up to RM5k - 10k, projector costing the price of an Perodua Kancil!!!! And yah this place isnt really place you should come if you are low on budget!!!

Ok back to my trip for the AV receiver! I managed to purchase a Pioneer VSX-2016 with build in AMP!!! The specs are as below:
* Number of Channels - 7.1 Channels
* Stereo Mode Power - 150 Watt @ 6 ohm, 1 kHz, THD: 1%
* Surround Mode Power - 150 Watt @ 6 ohm, 1 kHz, THD: 1%
* Surround Sound - Dolby Digital®, DTS®, DTS ES®, THX EX®, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, THX®
* DSP Modes - 7 CH Stereo, Action, Classical, Drama, Jazz, Mono Movie, Musical, Sci-Fi
* Rear Input Connectors - RCA (2 Audio Channels) x 6, Digital Coaxial x 2, Digital Optical x 3, Composite (Video) x 4, S-Video x 4, Component x 3, HDMI x 2
* Rear Output Connectors - RCA (2 Audio Channels) x 3, Digital Optical x 1, Composite (Video) x 3, S-Video x 3, Component x 1, HDMI x 1
* Front A/V Connections - Composite x 1, Couple RCA Jack x 1, Headphones x 1, Optical x 1, S-Video x 1
* PC Interface - USB
* Analog Inputs - 7.1 Channels x 1
* Preamp Outputs - 7.1 Channels
* Component Video Bandwidth - 100 MHz
* Number of Zones - 2
* Speaker Impedance - 6 Ohm, 8 Ohm
* Tuner Presets - 30 Channels
* Tone Controls - Bass & Treble
* On Screen Display

For clearer detail and pic visit the Pioneer website.

So i got the receiver but i still haven't got any speaker yet! So when I went home that day, I did some research on Speaker!!!! Did not get any useful info though.....so i went to the shop that sold me the AV receiver to test out the speaker there!

I was amazed by the variety of speaker there, the sound quality of the speaker there were all wonderful and was nothing like my old Altec Lansing VS4121. I tested a few speaker there and ended up choosing Polk Audio RTi4 Bookshelf Speaker and a Tannoy Mercury FC Center Speaker.

Here a pic of my so called HTPC:


My Polk Audio RTi4


My Tannoy Mercury FC Center Speaker:


Next post i will focus on the sound quality of the speker and the input.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, how much did u buy the Pioneer VSX2016 AV receiver ?

Lok said...

hmmm back then i got it around RM2700+ something if i not mistaken.