Sunday, September 16, 2007

Masking a model kit

Masking a model kit for Airbrushing or hand painting is one of the part that hate most! Masking is really troublesome, and is a must if you want your kit to look good! U can even do special effect with masking!

Today I want to show you wat will happen if you did not plan your move correctly.

I wasn't planning to paint this kit from the start but after snap fitting it, I changed my decision so dissemble it again, but the feet part seem to be too tight. So as a result I had to mask the feet part to airbrush the 2 different color (white and blue).

Masking isn't a easy job, you will need to cut the masking tape shape to make it cover up the part correctly. While masking small and specially shape angle, you need to used a lot of tape.



From my experience with masking kit, I feel that the Tamiya masking tape is the best. It ain't too sticky (wont tear off ur paint) and masked part won't have the airbrushed color on them. I will strongly recommend you ppl buy Tamiya masking tape if you wish to do masking, those normal masking tape will course you more problem although they are cheap (my experience).


Tamiya Masking Tape (2 size)

There are few more method to mask a kit, but this is the most simple one and straight forward one. Later I will show a few products that are used for masking kit and what masking tape can do to make your kit more cool.

1 comment:

symbiotes021 said...

Yup, I hate this part the most when building a gundam kit. Wish there were other easier way.